‘Sic Transit Gloria Mundi’, The Burning of the Spa Saloon, Scarborough 1876
John Atkinson Grimshaw 1836-1893
The Spa and Grand Hall have now been upgraded to Grade II* listed status, putting these buildings in the top 8% of buildings of special architectural and historic interest. The Spa is set in the South Cliff Gardens which are listed Grade II in the Register of Gardens of Special Historic Interest. The gardens were laid out from the mid 19thcentury to the 1930s. In 1853, William Skipsey was appointed head gardener to the Spa. Harry W Smith was Scarborough’s Borough Engineer from 1897-1933, from 1912 he laid out the South Cliff gardens which we see today, including, in 1912, the Italian Gardens. Throughout the gardens are several small chalets and shelters which have now been restored by a partnership comprising the Civic Society, the Friends of South Cliff Gardens and the Scarborough Borough Council.
Directions to Location 8